Saturday, April 27, 2013

More RfM "fun"...

A couple of days ago, I posted about an unpleasant encounter I had with a guy on RfM.  Lately, I've been lurking less there because I'm finding that Mormonism is less interesting to me... probably, because I'm caring less about my husband's ex wife and ex kids.  However, I did stop by this morning and noted, with interest, a thread dedicated to the guy I had my "run in" with...  The thread referenced another thread in which the condescending jerk I had my run in with had yet another altercation with Raptor Jesus, a very popular RfM poster.  Here is part of the exchange...  Raptor Jesus is addressing another member of the board who brought up religious rights.



It has nothing to do with your thread.

At no point did you ever imply that you wanted to threaten anyone's rights to belief.

It's a statement that is completely off the topic of what you are saying because the two have nothing to do with one another.

You want to know how someone can continue to believe after they've gained certain knowledge.

That has nothing to do with religious rights whatsoever. In fact, I'm having a really hard time understanding why anyone would bring that up within the context of what you were posting.

It's a complete distraction to the topic at hand.
Options: ReplyQuoteFollow TopicReport

Posted by: snb )
Date: April 26, 2013 05:38PM

"In fact, I'm having a really hard time understanding why anyone would bring that up within the context of what you were posting."

It was probably brought up within the context of this thread because someone else wanted to bring it up. They most likely wanted to talk about it and insert their own thoughts and comments.

I might be going out on a limb here, but I'm fairly certain that is one of the main reasons why all of us post comments here.
Options: ReplyQuoteFollow TopicReport

Posted by: Raptor Jesus )
Date: April 26, 2013 05:51PM

That makes even less sense.
Options: ReplyQuoteFollow TopicReport


Date: April 26, 2013 05:53PM

Options: ReplyQuoteFollow TopicReport

Posted by: snb )
Date: April 26, 2013 05:55PM

[name redacted] wanted to bring it up. That is why she posted it. You claim that you didn't understand why someone would bring it up, however it is very simple. She wanted to do it and that is why she did.

At the risk of repeating myself I'll say it again. The reason why most of us post anything is probably because we want to.

Edit: Ahh...I think I get where we were not communicating.

When I said that "someone else" brings it up I meant "someone else (ie, not you RJ)" wanted to bring it up.

Does that clear it up a bit?



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2013 05:57PM by snb.
Options: ReplyQuoteFollow TopicReport

Posted by: Raptor Jesus )
Date: April 26, 2013 05:58PM

OP: How do people live with cognitive dissonance?

[name redacted]: I am passionate about rights.

Raptor: That doesn't make sense in the context of this thread.

SNB: [named redacted] can say whatever she wants to because we all want to say things.

Raptor: None of this makes sense given the OP.

SNB: But we can say whatever we want to!!!

Raptor: Have fun not making any sense and arguing over the right to not make any sense.
Options: ReplyQuoteFollow TopicReport



Posted by: Raptor Jesus )
Date: April 26, 2013 06:08PM

Other people can compartmentalize.

Incredibly well.

Mind bogglingly well.

However, I think at some point you have to put up defense mechanisms around your dissonance.

Where if someone points out to you that something doesn't make sense, you instantly go to those mechanisms.

This thread is a hilarious example.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2013 06:09PM by Raptor Jesus.
Options: ReplyQuoteFollow TopicReport

Posted by: snb )
Date: April 26, 2013 06:05PM

Ahh...so now you get it.

Good, I'm glad. You said you didn't get it earlier.

Wait a second! Were you pretending not to get it for rhetorical effect? Holy cow!

Here is the thing RJ, you pretend not to understand things and I think you do that as a way to try to hurt others. You do it as a way to mock others. It isn't very nice. I made sense, so did [name redacted] and to pretend otherwise is only a tactic that you use to win internet points. You objected to what she wrote and objected to what I wrote and this is how you handle it.

Yes, we have the right and the ability to post however and whatever we want within the rules that the administration gives us. It doesn't matter if you or I or anyone else deem it relevant.

Edit: Ugh, typos.



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2013 06:10PM by snb.


Interestingly enough, snb is the very same person who made the comments post below to me.  Like the poster he was defending in his online skirmish with Raptor Jesus, I was just "inserting my own thoughts and comments", which were actually not directed at him.  However, he felt the need to tell me that my thoughts and comments weren't necessary because he had already cleared things up and because I was a volunteer so long ago, his comments are more valid.

Moreover, because I served in the Dark Ages of the mid 1990s, I can't possibly know how the Peace Corps operates today.  News flash-- a college degree was almost 100% necessary back then, too.  My comment was in support of the poster who said that technically, you don't have to have a degree, which is also true.  Realistically, you do have to have a college degree and sometimes even a master's degree if you want to be a Peace Corps Volunteer-- and I pointed that out in my response.  But technically, it is possible not to have a degree and still serve.  The other poster, who had served recently, actually knew one who did, which means that his point was entirely valid.

RfM is full of people like this who say one thing and do something entirely different.  It's also full of shit stirrers who get their jollies posting inflammatory things that get people riled up.  Then they sit back and watch the show.



I was a PCV too. You just have to be 18 to serve in the Peace Corps. A college degree really helps, but if you have skills that are in demand, technically you don't have to have one. Realistically, though, if you're very young you'll need a degree.

Peace Corps definitely has its problems, but you will learn about your host country and they do give you a small stipend, health care, and a readjustment allowance. It's a great opportunity to see the world, too. I spent a month bumming around Europe on a train when I was done with my service. Had a blast!



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2013 03:56PM by
Options: ReplyQuoteFollow TopicReport

Posted by: snb )
Date: April 23, 2013 06:18PM

I know you were in the PC :)

Things have changed a lot since you were a PCV. It is nearly 100% mandatory for PCVs to have a degree now.

4 comments:

  1. I hear ya', Knotty. Sometimes I have to keep reminding myself when I drop in there that the posters there are recovering from a totally f-ed up mind-bending religion, so I shouldn't expect normal sensibilities. Otherwise their cog-dis would drive me bananas (there evidently are a lot of things to recover from... lots of 'us v them' thinking and hero-worshiping of perceived 'royalties' going on there).

    There are a handful like RaptorJesus or Kolobian who seem to have their head screwed on straight, though. Almost don't know why they're still hanging there. I guess it's a cultural attachment thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of those people at RFM are ugly, and I'm obviously not describing their physical appearances since I cannot see them. I feel thorougly unwelcome there. I still read on occasion, but I'm afraid of what has happened to me in the past, which is either I have had my head metaphorically bitten off or I have ended the thread, since I'm such a nobody that once I post, everyone else is finished with the thread. It's happened enough that it's not a coincidence. It hurts my feelings, so I don't post there. I do read. I wish I could post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah. There are several posters who go out of their way to be mean to people sometimes. A few who used to be rude to me have blessedly moved on now. I remember one woman was particularly nasty when I wrote about my husband's situation. She actually said she was glad I'd been unable to have kids of my own, solely because I am my husband's second wife. I didn't say this, but I thought to myself that it was too bad her parents had kids. What a bitch.

    And yes, there are quite a few RfM "heroes" there who seem to be worshipped for some reason. Anagrammy is one of them. I don't have any personal issues with her, but people seem to think she's RfM's answer to Dear Abby or something. I don't see why she's so awesome. Same with SusieQ.

    I don't see why anyone has anything to do with MJ. He's probably the most offensive of the lot.

    Anyway, Alexis, you're always welcome to post here about Mormon stuff. I won't bite. ;-) And Smorg, AlexisAR has quite the awesome blog and is a musician to boot!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.