Thursday, April 18, 2013

Iyanla... fuck my life!

I often watch the Oprah Winfrey Network in the mornings because Dr. Phil is on and his show is a train wreck for me.  Oprah has been trying hard to make her network special somehow.  I remember not long ago, she tried to launch a show starring Rosie O'Donnell that failed quickly and was soon yanked.


I'm not really a fan of Rosie's.  I mean, I've seen her in movies and liked her well enough.  I have never really wanted to watch her talk shows.  Apparently, other people haven't, either, even though she and Oprah pal-led around together on a very annoying promo for her show and said "John Travoooolta" to each other.  Come to think of it, I've never watched Oprah's show, either.

Oprah also airs a show called Iyanla: Fix My Life.  I haven't seen this show either, but I have seen a lot of ads for it.  And I gotta say, the ads by themselves are annoying as hell.  I remember when the above clip was shown incessantly.  I found the woman's in your face attitude so off putting that I looked her up just to see who the hell she thought she was...


Recently, the above ad was frequently shown.  I don't know the context of the exchange at the end of this ad, but I get the feeling just based on the ads that I would say "fuck you" to Iyanla, too.  I mean, she may be very insightful, sage, and wise, but her ads are very irritating, at least to me.

But then, if you've been reading this blog, you probably already know how I feel about gurus.  I watch Dr. Phil anyway, just because sometimes he's witty and sometimes he brings out some fascinating guests.  But I find his overbearing condescension very off-putting.  Iyanla comes across in much the same way, though I guess to be fair, I should watch an episode or two of her show instead of the creatively edited ads that are constantly aired on OWN.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.