Thursday, April 18, 2013

In case you didn't get enough of the f word in my previous post...

Check out Gawker.com this afternoon.  Some sorority chick at the University of Maryland went off in a letter to her "sisters" and uses the word "fuck" a record number of times.  The letter has gone viral and now the sorority's chapter president has asked that the article be removed or identifying information is redacted to protect the innocent.  What's really funny is the woman who wrote the f-word littered email is concerned that boring/weird/socially awkward girls are bad PR for her sorority.  Perhaps she had no idea that her profanity laden email would end up on Gawker.com, along with the name of her sorority and the fraternity they are supposed to party with.

All I gotta say is, I swear like a sailor and this email made ME blush.  I wonder if she kisses her mother with that mouth/those fingers...  or if she's in possession of a dictionary and thesaurus.  Sounds like she could use some lessons in vocabulary, even if she just learned a few new creative ways to swear.  Excepting, of course, her use of the term "cunt punt", which is a new one even to me.

I don't really care if people cuss, actually.  I figure cuss words are just part of language and they have their place.  On the other hand, it seems unwise to use that much profanity in an email, since exactly what happened can happen.  Also, it's not very professional and potential employers are always watching.  That's my quasi-motherly advice for this afternoon...  Aside from that, I'm with George Carlin on this matter.


By the way, although my alma mater is a place where four national sororities were founded, I did not join one of them.  Oh, I was a member of Sigma Alpha Iota, which is an honorary music fraternity for women.  It was a lot cheaper than the social sororities were, required less bullshit and fundraising, and actually had standards other than looks and jeans size to join.  However, despite all that, I remember a fair amount of drama stemming from SAI, too.  Had I to do it over again, I might have gone Greek... especially since I am friends with a lot of women who were in a certain sorority at my school.  Or maybe I wouldn't have.  I still hate fundraisers and I don't think Greek organizations are all that helpful for networking.

ETA... it's now been turned into a video...




2 comments:

  1. The Greek community is prettty big at my university, although one is by no means a non-person if he or she does not pledge. There are also a fair number of the frats/sororities/academic associations that function in some ways as part of the Greek system while being more than mere vehicles for snobbishness and drunken revelry, but even those have their issues.

    My parents say that they will cut my brother or me off financially, except to the extent that we would be allowed to live at home and eat their food, if we ever pledge to a sorority or fraternity. My parents recognize that I'm a legal adult and, what's more, most likely have the means to support myself and pay tuition all the way through med school with savings and scholarship money, especially if I receive ine of the foundation awards that are annually given to the ten or so top graduates annually. (I live at home, but have a dorm room my uncle pays for. I could use scholarship money to pay for housing as well if necessary, though I'd prefer to save that for the even that I get into an expensive medical school. (None are cheap.)soI could join a sorority and still probably be OK, but I happen to agree with them that more bad than good happens in association with them. (My brother isn't financially as set as I am. He has a full ride for his undegrad, but that's where it stops, and he doesn't have much savings. he has no choice, but I'd like to think he wouldn't pledge even if he could.

    My mom said the greek system had a legitimate function a couple of generations ago, when kids sometimes moved away to attend colleges far from home, and had few connections. The ability to call home frequently wasn't always feasible due to cost. For what ever reason - lack of social networks or whatever - it supposedly wasn't quite as easy to make friends back in the day. The Greek system functioned as a pseudo-family for students far from home. It's not that way at all anymmore, and it's no longer a choice between being a loner or going Greek that a student must make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if you happened to check out that article I linked to, you might also see why Greek systems aren't all that great. I don't think I really missed out on much by not going Greek. Really, SAI was Greek enough for me. At my school, it was hard not to be in some kind of organization with Greek letters, even if you weren't in a social Greek organization.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.