Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Daytime talk shows... oh how they seduce me with trash!

In 1988, Geraldo Rivera was the KING of daytime TV...



I remember being a high school junior when the above episode of his show aired and he got his nose broken in a brawl that was filmed and showed to the masses.

Daytime TV exploded after that and there were shows by Oprah Winfrey, Ricki Lake, Jenny Jones, Montel Williams, and Sally Jessy Raphael.


Here, Oprah gets called a "monkey" by a racist in her audience.  Check out her hair!


Here, Jenny Jones ambushes some guy who didn't know he was the object of a gay man's crush.  Later, the man ended up murdering the gay guy who liked him so much.


And this episode of Jenny Jones' show features both Dana Plato and Lani O'Grady, both of whom are now dead due to drug use.

And now we have Dr. Phil...  Actually, I have to say, today's episode of Dr. Phil was totally creepy.  His guest was this woman whose boyfriend was totally smothering and possessive.  It was obvious that the man was abusing her and he seemed to be completely clueless as to how the things he said to her were totally abusive and creepy.



I didn't start watching a lot of daytime TV until somewhat recently.  In the 80s and 90s, I was too busy. For part of the 00s, I lived out of the country or didn't have cable TV.  Now I watch because I don't have anything else to do.  I have to admit that I get hooked on these shows because they are so sensational...

I am continually amazed by how shitty people can be.  I know part of this is encouraged by the show's producers, who want an interesting and controversial show.  On the other hand, there must have been something to these cases to get these people on the show in the first place.  It just points to a serious lack of common sense.  Even if you are in serious trouble, why would you volunteer to go on Dr. Phil's show for the world to see?  I am especially amazed by Jessica Beagley, the Mormon hot sauce mom...  Did she really not know that pouring hot sauce down her son's throat and forcing him into a cold shower would not be construed as child abuse?  She must have been out of her mind.

Anyway, in a matter of days, I'll be getting a reprieve from the trash when we get to Italy.  I'm really looking forward to it.  I need a vacation from daytime TV!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.