Saturday, March 16, 2013

At the vet's office today...

We took the dogs in to get some vaccines this morning.  While we were waiting, an older gentleman came in to pick up his dog who had been boarded a couple of nights.  He was telling us with some pride about his beautiful dog and how he has an invisible fence installed so the dog gets exercise.

The receptionist brought out the man's German Shepard, who was pretty much out of control.  Our dogs went nuts barking and the man and the receptionist were trying hard to wrestle the dog into compliance.  The receptionist held up a rather nasty looking prong collar, which they then struggled to put on the big dog, who was very excited and pent up with energy.

They finally managed to get the very excited beast out the door and the receptionist looked at us and said, "I can't stand that dog!  He drags me all over the place."

Bill and I were a little taken aback by the receptionist's revelation to us.  It kind of makes one wonder what she says about our dogs when we aren't around.  But then, I've had run ins with this lady before and she's never impressed me as being particularly situationally aware.

So we went in and got the shots; the vet checked out where Arran bit Zane a couple of days ago... We stopped by the pet store to get Zane a new collar and another toy.  And when we got home, I posted about our incident.  I was surprised by the knee-jerk responses we got, mostly berating the guy for using a prong collar and the receptionist for being overly candid.  It turns out one of the people on my page for MacGregor admits to using a prong collar because her dog won't walk peacefully with a regular collar.

Our little town is pretty much a hick town, though, and folks around here aren't very sophisticated.  I look forward to being in an area where we might find a vet we like better.

Incidentally, here's an interesting article about prong collars.  I still don't like them, but won't jump to a negative conclusion so quickly next time I see one being used.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.