Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Utah mom potty trains her kids in public...

Just when I think things can't get any weirder in the world, I read a news article that proves me wrong.  The other day, I read a very interesting post on a blog called STFU, Parents.  The post was about a mom in Lehi, Utah who had observed another mother potty training her twin daughters in a Utah restaurant.

I looked up the news story on KSL.com and watched the video, which included pictures of the mom and toddlers in question.  The mother had stripped her kids to the point of almost total nudity and instead of putting them in booster seats, she put them on portable kiddie toilets, right there on the table at a public restaurant.

I don't have kids of my own, but it seems to me that a large part of potty training kids is teaching them when and where it is appropriate to use the bathroom.  And also, a successful aspect of potty training involves teaching them to seek privacy when they're doing the deed.  I can't imagine how this woman could think potty training her daughters in public was okay on any level.  I know twins are a lot of work and it's possible that this mom was simply exhausted and frustrated, but still-- even without hygiene and public decorum considerations, I would be worried about creepers seeing the children undressed and taking pictures...

Yes, that's right.  There are weirdos out there who, unlike the mom who took the pictures of the kids and posted them on Facebook and later gave them to KSL, would take pictures for their own gratification.  It's a sad fact of life.

I don't know what the answer is... but I do think that moms should potty train their kids in an appropriate venue for so many reasons!  If you don't do it because it's simply the right thing to do, do it because other people are watching and waiting... and your kids could end up on Facebook for the world to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.