Sunday, September 9, 2012

Colonial Penn... how tacky can you get?



Recognize this commercial?  It's for Colonial Penn Life Insurance.  Colonial Penn has been hawked on day TV for decades.  I remember when Ed McMahon was the pitchman...



But nowadays, Alex Trebek is selling this cheap life insurance with guaranteed coverage that never goes down and rates that will never go up.  I have never bought insurance from Colonial Penn, so I can't speak to the quality of their product.  But boy, have I seen their ads!  They come on all the time!  The latest ones are pretty offensive, too.

I couldn't find videos of the ones I see most often.  They show a couple of women after a funeral talking about how the deceased loved ones didn't have life insurance coverage and how they hoped he could afford to pay for the burial services.  Another one shows women working in what looks like a school cafeteria, discussing the same tasteless thing.  It just comes off as completely tacky and rude, even though life insurance coverage can be very important.  They're pretty poorly acted, too.




I also hate the icky music they play in the background that sounds all sad, yet consoling and compassionate.  Makes me wonder how much ol' Alex Trebek is being paid to shill these policies.  He's been doing it for years.


I think he should stick to Jeopardy...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.