Wednesday, August 1, 2012

My take on the Chick-fil-A controversy...

I'm gonna be totally honest.  I really don't care that much about the hullabaloo surrounding Chick-fil-A.  I first heard about all the anti-gay accusations on the Recovery from Mormonism board, where there are many gay and lesbian posters.  Lots of people are offended that Chick-fil-A apparently donates money to anti-gay causes.

I don't even remember the last time I ate a Chick-fil-A sandwich.  If I'm gonna eat chicken, I prefer it on the bone, not between a bun.  Besides the fact that I'm not a big chicken sandwich fan, I also hate their creepy ad campaigns that have cows demanding that I "Eat mor chikin."  Not only is the ad creepy, it kinda promotes bad spelling.  So that's another reason I'm not a Chick-fil-A fan.

I imagine if I did enjoy Chick-fil-A more, I might be persuaded not to eat there because of their conservative values.  After all, I haven't shopped at Wal-Mart in years in part because I hate the way they affect small businesses and their huge buildings end up being blights on small towns.  I also hate the way Wal-Mart screws over its workers.  I think that if people don't agree with business's values, they have every right not to do business with them.

However, while I support a person's right to boycott a business, I don't support wholesale banning of businesses because of their values.  People have the right to have or not have an opinion.  They have the right to vote with their wallets.    

As I've learned on Facebook, today is "Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day", and lots and lots of people have apparently decided to dine there in a show of solidarity.  So Chick-fil-A is not hurting for business.  Plenty of people just plain don't care that they support traditional families and anti-gay organizations.  They just want their chicken.

I am a big believer that, by and large, people have the right to their opinions.  Yes, I know that sometimes I get pissy with people who are judgmental toward me with the things I write on this blog. I never claimed to be perfect and it's hard not to get pissy when someone makes a negative comment directed at me, personally.  But generally speaking, once my head cools, I recognize a person's right to their own opinions, even if they are offensive to me.  And while I, personally, am not against gay marriage, I understand that other people are against it and have their own reasons for their opinions, whether or not I think their reasons are valid.  Freedom of choice and speech is the American way.

Frankly, I think this whole Chick-fil-A debacle has backfired.  But people do love a cause and it can be fun to get riled up about things, I guess.  To me, it's very simple.  If I don't agree with a company's values or don't enjoy their products, I don't do business with them.  But if my neighbor likes 'em, who am I to judge?  I think it's smartest to let people vote with their feet, especially for an issue like this one. Something tells me Chick-fil-A will survive this crisis, whether or not I choose to eat there.

 

2 comments:

  1. Such a miserably misguided battle, this gay marriage thing. A waste of effort, money and goodwill. Why the hell do LGBT need it to be marriage? What's so wrong about calling it civil unions or whatever else? Am I the only one who believes that far less people would have any objection to, or would be riled up about civil unions? After all, what do LGBT lack? Federal-level privileges. Namely taxation and immigration. If they concentrated on that, without infuriating the delusional (aka Christians), they'd be so far ahead already. And if they were smart, then first they would achieve these equalities, and then go on to call it marriage.

    I wish marriage were abolished altogether. It's an outdated and unnatural concept. Every person should be subject to the same level of taxation regardless of whether they are partnered or single. Every person should be allowed to bring an immigrant into the country to share their lives with them, without forcing a marriage on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, Zafrir,

    Thanks for leaving me a comment. I think the LGBT community has some legitimate complaints about the fact that their unions aren't legally recognized. Because homosexuality is still considered a sinful taboo in many families and communities, it's easy for people in same sex relationships to be marginalized.

    For instance, people in the military recently got the right to serve regardless of their sexual orientation. Homosexuals in the military no longer have to hide their sexual orientations, but because gay marriage isn't legally recognized everywhere, their partners do not enjoy the same privileges and protections that the spouses of straight servicemembers do.

    The legal definition of what constitutes family has also prevented some homosexual couples from being able to take care of their lovers when a medical crisis strikes. Hospitals have been known to bar lovers from seeing each other because legally, gay marriages are not always recognized. I think about how much I love my husband and how I would feel if some hospital administrator refused to let me see him if he was hospitalized because I'm not a blood relative.

    I don't have a problem with gays wanting to legalize their relationships. There are some benefits to doing that. On the other hand, as you pointed out, marriage also has its pitfalls. Personally, I'm happy as a married person, but I know marriage is not for everyone and can even be disastrous for some people.

    As for Chick-fil-A, which was the original subject of this post, I'm getting very tired of hearing about it. I think we have much bigger fish to fry in this country.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.