Saturday, June 16, 2012

Cancer Treatment Centers of America...

Maybe I shouldn't comment on this, since I am fortunate enough not to have anyone in my day to day life who is dealing with cancer.  I still sort of cringe whenever I see ads like this one...


These ads are on TV all the time, no doubt inspiring hope in a lot of people who are facing long odds against cancer.  After seeing one of their ads for the umpteenth time, I finally did some Googling and ran across this forum on the American Cancer Society's Web site.

This thread basically outlines experiences people have had with Cancer Treatment Centers of America. I couldn't help but feel sad and outraged for some of the people who looked into getting treatment from them.  I came away with the impression that these "treatment centers" really are all about the almighty dollar rather than helping people overcome cancer.

On the other hand, there were a couple of people on the thread who indicated they had a good experience... There were not as many positive responses as there were negative, but there were enough to make me wonder.


So what do you think?  Are these centers for real?  Or do they really prey on the dying by giving them false hopes?



I will say that Phyllis Ellis has become almost as ubiquitous on daytime TV as the Hoveround guy, Michael Leland...

ETA:  2017....  Check this out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.