Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Where I've been...

So, it's been over two weeks since my last post.  That's unusual for me, but I have a good reason for my absence.  My husband and I went on a military hop to Europe.  Our round trip flights to and from Germany cost us a total of about $40.

It was our first trip back to Germany since we moved from there about three years ago.  I had really been missing it.  I seem to feel a lot more comfortable in Europe than I do in the States.  So we spent a lovely week tooling around Germany, Austria, and Luxembourg, drinking lots of beer, eating good food, and burning calories.

Yes, that's right.  I actually lost a little weight.  I really think it's because of all the walking we did.  I even managed to haul my substantial ass up a very tall church tower.  It wasn't easy, but I did it and was rewarded by beautiful views of the city.

Military space A flights require a lot of flexibility and planning... When I say planning, I mean you have to know which air base or airport you're going to have the best chances of getting out of.  But you have to be flexible as to when you will leave and where you will ultimately end up.  My husband and I love spontaneous trips, so this was kind of up our alley.  We took a chance leaving in May, since it's right on the edge of the very busy summer season.  That's when would-be space A seats are filled by families trying to move or active duty families going on vacation.  My husband and I are still active duty right now, but that will change in a couple of years.

The first flight was out of Baltimore, a good stout drive from where we live.  It was like any regular commercial flight, complete with monitors on the seatbacks showing films and TV shows.  The seats were cramped and there wasn't much space.

The flight home was out of Ramstein Air Force Base.  We flew to Charleston on a military airplane.  Even though we were on a cargo plane with fifty other people, I enjoyed it more than the flight to Europe.  There was much more room to move around and even lie on the floor if I wanted to.


Look closely in this picture and you can see that a couple of people did just that...


On our trip, we visited Cologne, Munich, Salzburg, Trier, Luxembourg, and Rodange... not bad for a week.  I wish we'd stayed longer.  I told my husband that I don't think a week in Europe is ever enough.  Luckily, we have plans to go to Scotland later this year to celebrate our 10th anniversary.


Here's a picture of my favorite stained glass window in the Cologne cathedral.  Being in there moved my husband to tears...

I just wrote a long trip report about this... so I'm not going to go too much into the trip on my blog.  Suffice it to say, we had a fantastic time.  I'm ready to do it again soon-- preferably when we're not in the busy season anymore.  Oh, and by the way, I finally did get some Greek food!


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an awesome trip!!!! I'm glad you had fun, and you can't beat $40.

    I'd love to get to Europe one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make it a priority, Dave! There's so much to see there. I feel so fortunate that we've had opportunities to explore Europe.

    Of course, aside from the $40 flights, we did have to pay for hotels, food, and a couple of commercial flights... However, with a little more planning next time, I think we can make a Europe jaunt more cost effective.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.