Saturday, April 7, 2012

James Hooker and Jordan Powers have broken up...

Not long ago, I was watching Dr. Phil and the guest of honor was 41 year old James Hooker and his 18 year old girlfriend, Jordan Powers, along with Jordan's mother, Tammie.  Naturally, Dr. Phil raked Hooker over the coals.  I don't generally agree with a lot of things Dr. Phil says, but I did agree with his take on Hooker's relationship with his former student.  Even if it was technically legal, it was inappropriate and unethical.  I couldn't blame Jordan's mother for being appalled and upset about their relationship.

So today I read that Hooker was just arrested for having an inappropriate sexual relationship with a 17 year old girl back in 1998.  I think it's interesting that the young woman has just come out of the woodwork now, but apparently it was enough to get Hooker tossed in jail and Powers back to her senses. She promptly dumped James Hooker, declaring that she had "lost everything" for him.

I couldn't help but notice all the Yahoo! comments directed toward Jordan Powers, declaring the irony that Powers had no issues "breaking up" Hooker's family, but apparently was upset that he had been arrested for inappropriate relations with another young woman years ago.  First off, while I don't think what Powers did was wise, I wouldn't expect her to be especially wise.  She's just 18.

While I'm not a fan of other women chasing married men, when it comes down to it, she was not the one who made a commitment.  James Hooker was the one who promised to be married to his ex wife, not Jordan.  He was the one who strayed.  While I think it's unwise for people to get romantically involved with those who are married, I also think the bulk of the blame of affairs lie with the married person, not the interloper.  If anything, so called "homewreckers" may have sorrowful times to look forward to... because a person who willingly cheats one time will likely cheat again later.

Moreover, I'm delighted that this young woman has come to her senses.  In doing so, she has spared herself immeasurable grief.  She has not brought an innocent child into the world.  She is still very young and has her whole life ahead of her.  I'm sure her mother is very relieved.  I would be if I were Jordan's mom.

I know love can be blind.  But in this case, I'm glad common sense prevailed...  and I hope Mr. Hooker enjoys some time out of society and away from girls on the brink of adulthood.      

2 comments:

  1. She's infatuated and he's besotted. Any way you cut it, it is definitely not love. There is a huge and significant difference between sentimentality and love. I doubt if either of them will ever grow up. They are BOTH children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. You're probably right that it's not "love"... though since I'm not Jordan Powers and don't know her personally, I can't say for sure what she's really feeling. More than likely, you are correct that she is/was infatuated, but I couldn't think of a snappy saying like "love is blind" to describe infatuation.

    As to whether or not either of them will grow up, that remains to be seen. I have more hope for Jordan, though, since she's still very young. People often do dumb things when they're that young.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.