Monday, February 6, 2012

My pet peeve of the day... people who shriek "TMI"

You know what bugs me?  People who whine "TMI" when I say something they consider "too much information".  This annoys me on many levels.  First off, everybody's different, so everybody has their own threshold as to what is "TMI" and what isn't.  There's no possible way I can know what each individual person's standards are, so I don't know how on earth I can be expected to adhere to them.

Secondly, people who say "TMI" are usually trying to shame me.  Think about it.  Why would you say "TMI" to someone?  Because you are "offended"?  You're letting the person who said something you didn't like know that you are offended.  Does your right not to be offended trump my right to express myself?  And again, how can I be expected to know what your particular standards are, and why should I bother to respect them when you have shown no respect for me?

Thirdly, it's childish.  Because basically you're taking the time to whine "TMI" to someone who said something you disapprove of.  Tonight, someone on my Facebook actually said "TMI" to me because I commented that my husband has magic hands.  Hell... it's not like I said he had a magic dick.  I said he had magic hands.  People use their hands to do all sorts of miraculous things.  He could have been rewiring our electrical system with his hands.  Is there anything dirty about that?  I don't think so.  It's only dirty and suggestive if your mind is already in the gutter.  It so happens, I was impressed by his ability to zero in on the tender spot on my back with his gentle touch.  He wasn't fingering me or anything nasty like that.  He just used his hands to soothe my back and relieve my shoulder pain.  Again, what's TMI about that?  When someone whines "TMI" to me, I just want to tell them to grow up and get over it.

And finally, anybody who knows me, knows that I am often inappropriate and irreverent.  If you are offended by the things I say, you have choices.  You can hide my feed on Facebook or unfriend me.  You can walk away from me or otherwise disassociate with me.  You can take responsibility for yourself instead of expecting me to know what I should or shouldn't say in order to avoid offending you.  Life is too short for that bullshit.  Besides, if something I said is the most offensive thing you've ever heard in your life, you're damn lucky.

Believe it or not, I don't go out of my way to be offensive.  But I think after almost 40 years as a law abiding citizen of this planet, I should have the right to communicate freely and be myself.  I don't tell you what you should or shouldn't say.  It would be nice if you extended to me the same courtesy.

Yes, the letters "TMI," when said together, are very annoying to me, even when they are said in jest.  I just think it's lame to censor other people.  If I'm a loudmouthed cretin who isn't ladylike, that's my affair and I will suffer the consequences for it.  It's not up to you to "school" me on what I should and shouldn't say.  Fuck off.

/end rant



2 comments:

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.