Wednesday, January 4, 2012

If it's January, it must be time for weight loss ads...

Not that we're not already bombarded with weight loss ads year-round, but they come out with a vengeance at New Year's, because that's when people make resolutions to lose weight.  This is the weight loss industry's "holiday season".  We gotta lose weight so we can fit into the new clothes we got at Christmas, right?  This year, it seems that a bunch of female songbirds have come out to show us all how we should improve ourselves by dropping weight.

So, Jennifer Hudson is still with us, but this time she's singing a duet with "the fat her".


I have to admit, I didn't recognize Jennifer Hudson's "fat version"and actually thought she was upstaging someone else...  She does look very different, but this ad is offensive because the "skinny version" comes out and upstages the fat version, which indicates that the fat version should just STFU and go away.  I also don't think the fat version looks that bad... just different.  Anyway, I hate this ad.

The next ad that is all over the boob tube right now features Janet Jackson...


I don't think Janet Jackson looks particularly fat in this ad.  She's a woman in her 40s and still looks wonderful.  And I have a hard time believing that she's actually eating food prepared by a diet company.  I wish she'd "get on it" and get the hell off my TV.

And now Mariah Carey has jumped on the bandwagon by pitching Jenny Craig.  I didn't think it was possible, but she's more annoying than Carrie Fisher is...


She looks great having lost the baby weight after having her twins, but you won't convince me that her body came from Jenny Craig.  Moreover, this commercial annoys me because it's mostly her shrieking over and over again to irritating dance music.  I think Jenny Craig's ads are pretty obnoxious, but they're more effective when they show someone who actually needs to lose weight losing weight.

And finally, there's Marie Osmond's ad...  Oddly enough, it's not posted on YouTube yet.  In the ad, Marie, who is over 50 years old, looks like she's taken an extra hit of Botox.  She sits on the couch, hair perfectly coiffed, skin looking dewy and glowing, and talks to America about using Nutrisystem to lose weight.  Granted, she does look good, but the average American doesn't have access to the tools Marie does.  Frankly, if I were a woman in my 50s, I'd be even more annoyed by Marie.  She's not very relatable to the average person.

I'm all for improving oneself.  Weight loss is an admirable goal.  But a lot of people who try to lose weight will gain it back.  We also have many, many people out of work right now who are just trying to keep the lights on.   Diet programs along with diet foods are pricey.  It's great that these stars are svelte again, but I'm having trouble believing it's just because they're using diet products.

2 comments:

  1. You forgot to mention how DARK Marie Osmond appears. Why she's darker than Mariah Carey in that commercial. Frankly I didn't know who the woman was until they showed her "before and after" pics again. Then my jaw hit the floor. I hope to never come across this commercial again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL... I'm afraid you'll see it again, unless you just turn off the TV. This is the season for shaming us into diet plans!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.