Friday, December 2, 2011

Our cruise, part four...

After a wonderful day in St. Lucia, we moved onward to our next port, Bequia, in St. Vincent, The Grenadines.  Unlike Soufriere, Bequia was very laid back.  People said good morning to us instead of badgering us to buy their goods.  A cute little dog followed us around.  I couldn't help but notice the little fellow was still sporting his testicles.  I suppose we could have done something fun like venture to the nude beach or eat lobster pizza.  What we chose to do is buy some rum.

My husband and I are big fans of refined alcoholic spirits.  We went into one store and listened as a young woman yelled in Creole on her cell phone while the store clerk stood by, completely disinterested in whether or not we purchased anything.  We left that store and went around the corner, where we found a small grocery store.  It was hopping with business.

We found our way to the booze aisle, where I found a most intriguing bottle of 15 year old rum made by El Dorado, a company out of Guyana.  It just occurred to me how close Guyana was to Bequia.  Priced at about US $27 in East Caribbean dollars, this rum was a good buy.


I was thinking about buying something nice for the wall, but decided against it when I remembered how much stuff is already on my walls.  We went back to the ship, where I proceeded to swim off the marina again.  Later, we had a very nice lunch with some of our new friends.

The next day, we went to Carriacou, which is part of Grenada.  I was actually surprised we were going to Grenada.  I thought Carriacou was part of The Grenadines.  This was not the most beautiful port, but it was probably the most interesting.  The smell of garlic and curry filled the air as my husband and I wandered around the area.  Suddenly, we found ourselves at a small museum.  A tour had started, led by a very black local woman who spoke with a lilt.

We joined the other couple touring, a very thin man with long, scraggly brown hair who appeared to be European-- perhaps Dutch?-- and a very thin, pale, redheaded woman with a British accent.  The man was very engaged in the tour and kept asking questions of the guide.  My husband and I listened politely as the museum worker spoke.  I had to admit, the other man on our tour was asking good questions.

Afterwards, we purchased a wood carving and paid the entry fee.  I noticed that the museum worker's demeanor seemed different... kind of like a prostitute collecting her money at the end of a trick.  It was odd.  She asked, in a somewhat unfriendly tone, if we had come from "the boat".  We said we had.  She gave us some unsolicited tips on places to see, then didn't even so much as bid us goodbye.  I felt weird after that encounter.

We went back to the dock to wait for the tender when I noticed a quiet, thin, black man with extremely crooked teeth sitting there making wood carvings by hand.  The detail of the carvings was amazing.  I wanted one, but wasn't sure how much money we had.  A Canadian couple from our cruise purchased one.  I later sent my husband back to buy a carving of his choice for us.


The carving on the left is the one we bought at the museum.  The carving of the sailboat was the one my husband chose for us.  Both were very reasonably priced.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.