Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Michelle Duggar... pregnant again!

I have an odd love/hate relationship with Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar and their special brand of weirdness.  I find large families interesting, but the Duggars take the term "large family" to an extreme.  This morning, as I opened my eyes, Octomom was on my mind.  Not two hours later, I was hearing the news that Michelle Duggar is pregnant again with her 20th child.  Coincidence?

Now, I'm not a big fan of telling people how many kids they should have.  I think people should be able to make their own decisions about reproduction.  But when your pregnancies become the stuff of national news and you have your own reality show, you invite opinions about private matters like how big your family should be.

The Duggars' big news has been met with a lot of scorn and derision.  Plenty of people are lambasting them for having another child when their youngest, Josie, was born three and a half months early and has special needs.  They still have so many little ones who need their mother around, even though their sisters seem to be doing most of the childcare.  In that sense, I'd say it's kind of selfish for the Duggars to go for a 20th child.  That... and the fact that the 20th will probably not get to know his or her parents... they'll be old when that kid is a young adult.

I also have a sneaking suspicion that this child was conceived for selfish reasons.  First off, it's a fact that the Duggars' reality show is becoming a lot less interesting.  The ratings were starting to drop.  And once the show goes off the air, the big money will start to dry up.  Second, the Duggars are good friends with another mega-sized family who are about to have their 19th child.  I think there was some competition going on.  And finally, when you've had 19 kids, it seems only right to go for 20 so you'll have a nice round number.

Anyway, I hope Michelle Duggar has a healthy pregnancy.  And I hope it's her last.

1 comment:

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.