Sunday, October 2, 2011

Pet peeve of the day... servers who are overly familiar...

Today, my dear spouse and I decided to go to Lowe's and pick up some stain and water sealant for our  outdoor rocking chairs.  After we did our shopping, we decided we were hungry.  Off we went to Applebee's.

Our waitress approached, wearing a low cut t-shirt that showed off her ample cleavage.  She didn't look a day over 18 years old.  When I decided I wanted a burger, she asked "Do you want pink or no pink, Sweetie?"

I'm sure a look of annoyance flashed across my face.  I gave her my preference and she went away.

Our food arrived.  We hadn't had much chance to taste it before she asked me, "Does it taste okay, Darling?"  I cringed as I nodded.  She went away again.

When we were about halfway done, she called me Darling again as she asked me if I needed anything else.

I noticed she never once addressed my husband that way.

Now... I realize that I ought to be grateful this waitress didn't call me some other name, like Asshole or Bitch.  But it kind of chaps my ass when servers call me by pet names, especially when they are at least half my age.  I suppose I could have been mean and reprimanded her, but having once been a waitress myself, I have unusual empathy for them.  It still annoys me when strangers who are half my age are overly familiar.  Those little pet names are kind of disrespectful.  At least she didn't try to sit down at the table with us, though.  I've had that happen, too.

/rant over

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.