Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Amanda Knox is going home...

Yesterday, I was one of many people who was happy to hear the news that Amanda Knox has been released from her Italian prison cell.  My husband and I were living in Germany back in November 2007, when Amanda Knox and her Italian boyfriend, Rafaelle Sollecito, were arrested for murdering fellow British student, Meredith Kercher.  I remember thinking the details of this case were pretty sketchy and it was all over the news.

Time passed.  My husband and I left Europe in 2009 and Amanda Knox was still all over the news.  Somehow, I found it hard to believe that the lovely young lady really murdered her friend.  I couldn't understand what her motive would have been.  What's more, it just didn't seem like the evidence was there.  Yes, Amanda changed her story a couple of times.  Given her age and the fear she must have felt, I can't say I blame her for changing her story.  Honesty is the best policy, but when a person is staring down a life sentence and being interrogated, I can understand why facts might get muddled... especially when there's another language involved.

So yesterday, a jury decided that Amanda Knox and her boyfriend did not brutally murder Meredith Kercher.  Someone else is in prison for that deed, although he supposedly did not act alone.  A lot of people are upset that Amanda was released... My feeling is that it's wrong to imprison people who might be guilty.  The evidence does not support that Amanda Knox is a murderer.  I know people want someone to pay for Meredith Kercher's murder.  They should want the responsible person to pay.

I think, too often, when it comes to violent crime, people just want someone to pay.  If a person is convicted of a crime, too many people are ready to just close the book on the case.  But punishment should be reserved for guilty people.  It does no one any good if an innocent person pays for a crime.  This is the same reason I have issues with capital punishment.  Too often, there is a shadow of a doubt that a person might be innocent.  Instead of finding out the whole truth, we just want someone-- anyone-- to pay.  We feel better if someone rots in prison or gets strapped to a gurney after someone is murdered.  But, I guarantee that those who are so eager to see the execution of someone whose guilt isn't completely clear would not feel that way if they were someone who was falsely accused of a crime and rotting in prison.

I understand that people want vengeance when someone they love is harmed.  But we must make sure that the right person is punished.  It's wrong to make people pay for crimes they did not commit.  And I could be wrong, but I don't think Amanda Knox killed anyone.  I'm relieved for her that she's going home.  I hope she has a good life.

2 comments:

  1. Hear! Hear! Can't say it better myself. Vengeance and justice aren't necessarily the same thing indeed. It is always wiser to judge with reason rather than with emotion.

    ...Now if only I can drum that into my cute missionaries and their too often repeated Moroni 10:3 :oP

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have more patience than I would, Smorg.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.