Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Pat Robertson says it's okay to divorce if...

your spouse has Alzheimer's disease.  I read about this a few days ago and was interested because I came of age in the shadow of Pat Robertson's influence.  I used to watch his channel, WYAH, when I was growing up.

Anyway, like a lot of people, I had quite a reaction when he told a caller that it would be okay for a person to get divorced if his or her spouse had Alzheimer's disease.  At first, it struck me as a ridiculous suggestion, especially coming from a evangelical Christian.  Then I thought about it and realized that there were some situations where it would be "okay" to divorce someone with dementia.  But it still seemed wrong that Pat Robertson was issuing such serious advice to someone who had just called his TV show.  Worse, his comments were so glib and off the top of his head.  Yeah, I know he's 81 years old.  Maybe it's time he hung it up.

Divorce is such a personal issue.  People get divorced for all kinds of reasons.  I know some people can handle dealing with dementia and some people can't.  And I know that people go to Pat Robertson because some folks trust his judgment.  I mean, people must think he's somewhat wise.  He's been on TV for ages.  I just think his answer was irresponsible.

Apparently, I'm not the only one who feels this way.  There was quite a backlash over Robertson's comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.