Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Jennifer Hudson pitching Weight Watchers... Arghh!



Formerly heavyweight singer Jennifer Hudson has lost scads of weight, apparently due to Weight Watchers.  And now innocent Americans get to watch her gyrate around in tight white pants or a black catsuit as she moans and groans like a cat in heat.  Let me make it clear that I actually admire Jennifer Hudson for several reasons.  She has a fantastic voice.  She made me cry when she sang "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going" in the film version of Dreamgirls.  I was glad to see that she was becoming successful, despite her curvaceous figure.  I thought she was great in the movie and was happy to see she was doing well, despite not winning American Idol.

But now she's pitching Weight Watchers and I have to see her ads several times a day.  It was bad enough when the campaign was new.  Now it's been going for several months and the ever slimming Hudson's ads are becoming less about setting herself free from a fat body and more about sex appeal.  The most recent ad shows her in a white pantsuit that, in my humble opinion, doesn't really do her figure any favors.  Meanwhile, she sings about how good she feels in a way that suggests she's getting laid more often than usual.  She can sing, but damn... that ad is annoying!  Not only am I sick of the Weight Watchers product, I'm sick of the song she sings, too.

On another level, I feel a little sad that Jennifer Hudson has succumbed to the Hollywood image.  When she was heavier, she was unique.  Now she looks like lots of other black singers who have been molded and shaped into the "right" image.

I'm all for people who lose weight to better their health.  I'm someone who should be doing that myself.  And I do think Jennifer Hudson looks good.  But I thought she looked good when she was heavy, too.  And for me, that voice is what makes her great, not weight loss.  And I am sick of hearing her mating calls on my TV...

On the other hand, I think I'd rather watch Jennifer's ad than Marie Osmond's Nutrisystem ad...


Or Carrie Fisher's Jenny Craig ad... 'nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.