Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Catering to narcissism...

Lately, I've noticed a couple of ads on TV that cater to peoples' narcissistic tendencies.  The first ad is for MyLife.com.



See the attractive older woman sitting in front of her laptop, gloating about the five people who are "searching" for her?  I first found this site a couple of years ago, when I discovered my husband's ex wife using her 16 year old daughter's name.  I didn't join because it looked fishy and, frankly, I didn't want to have to pay for something I can get for free on Facebook.

And then today, I saw for the first time, an ad for Micro Plus, some kind of device that magnifies sounds. The ad showed people using the Micro Plus to be able to hear the doorbell when they were outside or pick up sounds that get drowned out by extraneous noise.  The end of the commercial was pretty funny, though, because it showed a woman walking past two ladies on loungers.  She was wearing the micro ear device and heard the two women talking about what a great body she had.

Wish I could find that ad on YouTube because it made my mouth drop open.  Frankly, I wouldn't want to wear a Micro Plus because I would hate to hear peoples' comments about my body.  But apparently, the people who made this ad think most people are so self-centered and narcissistic that other people would be commenting aloud about how sexy they are...

Sheesh!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.