Saturday, July 23, 2011

Brain farts in Internet journalism...

Like a lot of people, I get much of my news from the Internet.  I write a lot on the Internet, too, so I know how quickly things are written and slapped up for public consumption.  With such a rapid exchange of information, there are bound to be mistakes ranging from innocuous typos to big ol' brain farts.  Consider this quote from a news article I found this morning about the bombing and shootings in Oslo, Norway.

"I saw many dead people," said 15-year old Elise, whose father, Vidar Myhre, didn't want her to disclose her last name. She just feet away from the gunman when he opened fire in the camp on Utoya island.

Okay... so the writer left out a verb in the second sentence, which is kind of understandable.  He was probably trying hard to get the news out and was just careless.  I've done it myself many times.  But the biggest error is the one that made me laugh out loud.  The writer goes to the trouble of stating that Elise's dad didn't want her to reveal her last name, but then the writer reveals it anyway!  That, my friends, is what I call a big brain fart!  So much for protecting the identity of his source!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.