Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A dying toad...

My husband and I live in an area where there are a number of critters.  There aren't quite as many critters here as there were at our old house, but we do get regular visits from rabbits, birds, turtles, and toads.  Last week, my beagle, Zane, made the mistake of trying to eat a little red toad.  He got a squirt of something nasty and a foamy mouth for his effort.

This morning, I took Zane and MacGregor out for their morning constitutionals.  Suddenly, Zane, my frisky young'un, jumped backwards a couple of feet.  It seemed he'd found a toad that was struggling to move.  I'm not quite sure what happened to it.  Maybe someone stepped on it or drove over it, but the little toad was suffering.

I felt kind of sorry for the little creature, but I knew there was nothing I could do for it.  A little while later, I came back outside and the toad was near death.  I picked it up and put it out in the woods, where I hope it will rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.