Thursday, May 5, 2011

Another narcissist bites the dust...

Yesterday, I got a phone call from my spouse.  He was calling to give me some very interesting news about a former boss who put him through sheer hell when they were deployed to Iraq.  Apparently, the former boss, a colonel who shall remain nameless, had just been relieved of his command in Iraq because the other powers that are had "lost confidence in his ability to command".

My response?  This couldn't have happened to a more appropriate person.

A few years ago, my husband served as this colonel's deputy for a mercifully brief deployment in Iraq.  There were only a few other people in that group, but my poor spouse was the colonel's right hand man.  Consequently, he bore the brunt of his boss's abuse.  My husband had to drive his boss around; take most of his meals with his boss; put up with demeaning, inappropriate, and derisive comments from his boss; and take all of the abuse with a smile... while in a war zone.

My husband would call me every week and send me emails.  On the day that he compared his boss to his ex wife, I knew things were really bad.  Unfortunately, my husband didn't feel he could complain, because he was just one of a few guys subjected to this man's tyranny.  Another soldier witnessed the abuse and spoke up about it, but nothing negative happened.  In fact, until recently, this particular colonel was slated to make general.  He was essentially rewarded for being an abusive, narcissistic asshole.

So... with only a few weeks to go in Iraq, this colonel has been disgraced and was sent home early.  His career is probably over.  Frankly, I think that's a good thing.  Abusive people have no business being in power.  Of course, he must have done something right to get as far as he did.  Maybe another job will be found for him in a position that doesn't require him to deal with other people.

I don't feel sorry for the fallen colonel.  I do feel sorry for his family.  I'm sure the coming months will be very difficult for them.  On the other hand, I'm sure the soldiers in Iraq had plenty of reason to celebrate last weekend, what with the death of Osama bin Laden and the dismissal of their tyrannical boss.  Things must be looking up for them in a big way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.