Friday, March 25, 2011

The Rainbow Connection...

Just to prove that I'm not as cranky as I come across in this blog, I thought today I would dedicate a post to one of my favorite songs.  I happen to be a very musical person and I always have a song in my head.  This morning, I woke up with "The Rainbow Connection"running through my mind.  Lots of people have covered this song, but the version that was on my mind this morning was the first version I ever heard, performed by none other than Kermit the Frog...


I listened to it, promptly got all verklempt, and then I remembered another version that always moves me...


I don't know what it is... Willie doesn't sing this as well as he sings other songs.  It's almost as if he doesn't know it.  He's also putting on a few years, so maybe his voice isn't as strong as it once was...  But there is something very special about his rendition of this song.  I always find it very poignant.  Maybe it's because of his haunting guitar playing and the way his voice sounds emotional.

Anyway, I had downloaded Willie's "Rainbow Connection" a long time ago, but today I was inspired to buy the rest of the album it came from.  So this morning, I'm listening to Willie Nelson sing songs for kids. Every once in awhile, a little childlike fun is good for the soul, even for established legends like Willie Nelson.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.