Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Overly helpful "voice of reason" strikes again...

Maybe winter is just getting to me.  I find I have less and less tolerance for the "voice of reason" these days.  A few months ago, she got me so pissed that I took a sabbatical from her for about three weeks.  I came back at around Christmas and made a conscious effort not to post anything that would force me to interact with her.  Until recently, it was working fairly well... even though she was apparently stalking my Facebook, scouring it for comments about her.  When she saw a remark a couple of months ago that she thought applied to her, she left me a pointed comment.  She never otherwise comments on my Facebook.  I had to laugh to myself, since what I posted didn't have a damn thing to do with her.

So anyway, yesterday I found an article on Shine! about ways to save money on groceries by employing a few tricks.  I thought it was a pretty harmless post that wouldn't invite any contention.  I noted that I wanted to try one tip in particular.  The article said that cheese could be preserved by spreading butter on the cut sides.  Well... Ms. Overly Helpful decided to insert her opinion that wrapping cheese in wax paper and putting it in a baggie was a much better way to preserve cheese.  No shit!  Of course wrapping cheese well will keep it fresh longer.  I never would have thought of the butter solution, though, and that's why I thought it was cool and decided to mention it specifically.

Now, it's not so much that I don't appreciate practical insight from others.  It's that Ms. Overly Helpful feels the need to chime in on every subject and one up everybody with her brilliant insights and condescending attitude.  I don't feel like she offers her tips in the spirit of friendship or a true desire to be helpful.  I feel like she offers them because she wants to feel superior and offering her little tips gives her some kind of self-esteem boost.

The funny thing is, I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.  Other people have told me they feel the same way about this person.  While I don't like that others are annoyed, I can at least rest assured that at least I'm not the only one who is a little sensitive to her brand of assistance.  I swear, though, I'm rapidly losing my patience with this woman.  I only wish I were more laid back.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.