Monday, November 29, 2010

Thankful for Thanksgiving...

My husband and I just got back from our Thanksgiving holiday.  For most of my life, Thanksgiving has been my favorite holiday.  I love it because, historically, it's been when my whole family gathers for a few days of fun, food, and fellowship.  Everybody travels to Virginia and gathers at my late grandmother's house and we all catch up with each other.  Then, on Friday night, we usually have live music so people can sing and dance.

Until I got married, I was a diehard Thanksgiving attendee.  I routinely drove up on Wednesday night, then stayed until Sunday, enjoying every minute with my extended family.  But then when I got married, things changed.  At the beginning of my marriage, we were pretty poor and couldn't afford to board our dogs and stay in a hotel for Thanksgiving.  Then one year, my husband's ex stepson came with his girlfriend and celebrated with us.  For the next two years, we were living out of the country... then last year, we had just moved back and our dog had just died of cancer.  We had been able to attend other family events...  my grandmother's 100th birthday and her funeral the following year... but Thanksgiving was off the table, so to speak.

So finally, seven years after our last Thanksgiving with my family, my husband and I were asked if we would be able to attend this year.  I wasn't sure at first.  To be honest, I've started to grow fond of the simple, quiet gatherings we had been enjoying over the years.  But my favorite aunt laid on the charm and it wasn't long before I was agreeing to make the long drive to my home state.  And now, I'm so glad I went up there...  I don't regret the time I spent hanging out with aunts, uncles, cousins, and one of my sisters and her family.

The only casualty this weekend was my Kindle, which accidentally got dropped and damaged.  But I got to sing with a bluegrass band, fire a couple of guns, and watch my niece dance herself silly with one of my cousins.  I also got to order a new coat of arms for our home... wherever it ends up being.

All in all, I'd say the celebration was a success.  

I think this water tower resembles a well spanked ass...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.