Monday, November 1, 2010

Just say f**k it...

I just finished reading an interesting book called F**k It: The Ultimate Spiritual Way by John C. Parkin.  Parkin is an Englishman who lives in Italy.  He's somewhat of an expert on Eastern philosophies and believes that many of us would be a lot healthier if we just learned to say "fuck it" to most of our problems.    I can admit to being the type of person who stresses too much over things I can't change or control.  It's hard to just say "fuck it", though... That's not how I was raised.

Anyway, this book was surprisingly insightful and fun to read.  I passed it along to my husband, who really could stand to say "fuck it" more often than he does.  He cares way too much about what other people think of him and takes their comments and criticisms entirely too much to heart.  On the other hand, so do I.

What Parkin reminds his readers is that when it comes down to it, most things simply don't matter that much.  In the grand scheme of things, all you'll get from worrying and trying to control things is a headache and a troubled psyche.  It really is best to just relax and enjoy the ride as much as possible.  I guess that's why I shouldn't get so worked up over my husband's past... especially since that will never change.  All we can do is focus on the future.  I have a feeling it will be a sweet one for us.

Incidentally, Parkin actually runs week long seminars at his holistic center in Italy.  Maybe someday we'll get to pay him a visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.