Thursday, September 16, 2010

AGT is over...

Thank GOD!  The last time I watched AGT, it was 2007.  The show's format changed somewhat in the two intervening years and this summer, I've been watching with disgust and amazement.  In 2007, the show had the obligatory audition rounds that lasted about three episodes.  I think at that time, there was only one episode a week.  Then, the top twenty were chosen.  Then the top ten, I guess.  Every week, someone got voted off.

This year, we had several weeks of auditions (which I have to admit were pretty entertaining).  There was one week in Vegas, which we didn't really get to see that much of.  Then the survivors went to Hollywood... suddenly, there was a YouTube show and a bunch of acts we weren't familiar with were on the show.  Some of them, clearly inferior to the ones who didn't make it past Vegas, were now taking spots on the show.  Granted, that's how AGT got Jackie Evancho, a very talented little girl... but I have my own gripes about that.

So then the judges brought back acts to whom they wanted to give another chance.  Michael Grasso and Anna and Patryk got back on the show that way.  Actually, I was glad for that because I liked them both.  Wish they could have been in the top four.

It just seemed like it took forever to finish the show; however, I am glad of the outcome.  I think Michael Grimm deserved to win because he was on the show from the very beginning.  And Jackie Evancho, bless her heart, is only 10 years old and has the rest of her life to be a star.  Moreover, as a singer myself, I can say that while she's phenomenal for a 10 year old, she's average for a trained singer.  She needs to be a kid and let that voice develop, not star in a show in Vegas.  To me, she seems like a very poised 30 year old in a 10 year old's body, which was also kind of off putting.  I bet she'll grow up and marry a politician or something. 

Anyway, I wish Michael Grimm the best.  Guess it's time to entertain myself with some ANTM now.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.