Thursday, August 5, 2010

Much drama the other day at the vet's...

When you're an overeducated housewife, sometimes you have too much time to stress over things.  I was a little worried about my dog, MacGregor, who seemed to be limping slightly and woke me and spouse up four times last week, puking up bile in the middle of the night.  I made an appointment online, thanks to my vet's very handy pet portal. 

MacGregor and I set off for the vet's office on Tuesday afternoon.  On the way there, we ran into road construction that made a two lane road only one lane.  To make matters worse, I was behind a big truck, so I couldn't see what was going on.  We finally get past that traffic mess and pull up to the vet's office, only to see a bunch of police cars and an ambulance in the parking lot.

It turned out a police dog had been helicoptered to the vet's office after bagging two burglary suspects.  He went after a third suspect and collapsed in the extreme heat.  Unfortunately, the poor pooch died enroute to medical care.  Meanwhile, the police dog's handler was also dealing with heat injuries, so the paramedics were with him.

The vet examined MacGregor and gave me some anti-inflammtory pills for his limp.  He said MacG probably has a soft tissue injury.  He also told me to give MacG some Pepcid-AC before bed.  So far, that's been working well.  No more horrible retching in the middle of the night.

While I was waiting to pay the bill, a lady came up to the counter in tears.  I could only guess that she had just lost her dog or cat, too.  Two men who were with her apparently were wanting to pay, but the kindly receptionist told them they could pay when they "picked up his ashes". 

So then I went to my car and tried to start it, but the engine didn't turn over.  Just when I was about freak out, I tried again and the engine came to life.  I got to where the roadwork was going on and it looked like they were finishing up for the day.  Unfortunately, some dingaling had an accident and smashed up the front of their car.  So traffic was slowed down again so the cops, ambulance, and tow truck could do their work.  I imagine this happened because someone got impatient waiting in traffic and tried to make a U turn.  Either that, or someone plowed into the back of another car...

I'd say that was enough excitement for one day...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.