Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Dr. Laura and her racist rant, part III and a pleasant experience at the local hospital

So today, it's come out that Dr. Laura has decided to quit her show by year's end.  A lot of people are happy about it.  I guess I don't care one way or the other.  I've never listened to her show and don't agree with most of her views.  I did read one of her books some time ago and it was better than I expected.  But I suspect her time has passed and a lot of people are going to be glad when she's off the air for good.

People are still talking about this incident.  Some people, surprisingly enough, were surprised to hear about her leaving the airwaves.  One guy I ran into this morning had not heard about the rant that put her in the news in the first place.  When I directed him to a place where he could get the lowdown, he said he was glad to see her go.

I'm sure that once she's gone, someone just as offensive will be waiting to take her place.  She and her ilk are not really about helping people.  They're about ratings, money, and entertainment.  She went too far, and the money stopped rolling in from advertisers.  So it's time for her to say goodbye.

Now, switching topics, I feel like raving about the ultrasound I had this morning.

Being a military wife, I often end up getting medical attention at military treatment facilities.  That's the way it's always been for me, since I grew up an Air Force brat.  I enjoyed a few years of civilian healthcare, then married an Army guy... now I'm back on Tricare.

So anyway, because there is a shortage of military sponsored healthcare where we live, I was sent to a local hospital for an abdominal ultrasound.  I normally get very nervous in hospitals of any kind, despite my healthcare training.  I did NOT get nervous at this hospital.  I felt like I was walking into a high class hotel.  The place was decorated with wood paneling and had a lot of natural light.  It was very pleasant, with nice, soothing lighting. 

The ultrasound itself reminded me of a spa treatment.  The lighting in the exam room was very soft and the lady who took care of me really did her best to make sure I was comfortable.  I never once felt scared, anxious, or stressed out.  And if it turns out I do need to have my gall bladder out, I think I'd be very comfortable having it done at that hospital. 

I also want to shout out to my husband, who took such good care of me.  I don't deserve such a wonderful husband, but I'm so glad I've got him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.