Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Self-absorbed celebrity tell alls... they all suffer from a bad daddy

It's summertime, and that means a bunch of celebrities are coming out with their life stories.  This summer, I've already read four such books.  Last night, I finished Belinda Carlisle's book Lips Unsealed.  I came away from it feeling a little pissy, mainly because Belinda Carlisle, just like Todd Bridges whose book I also read, plays the blame game. 

Both Bridges and Carlisle grew up in California.  Both had absentee or abusive fathers.  Both became stars.  Both also became hooked on drugs and alcohol, while putting out a cute, appealing image to the masses.  Both are remarkably immature for their ages... or at least that's how it seems to me after reading their books.

At some point in every person's life, they have to become responsible for their own problems.  It seems to me that this is a concept that doesn't regularly get conveyed to celebrities.  Now that I think of it, today's the day yet another self-absorbed Hollywood star is set to go to jail for substance abuse problems.  Lindsay Lohan is due to begin her jail sentence today.  She's yet another person who suffers from a bad daddy.

I guess if there's a lesson to be learned from this, it's that people should be more selective as to who they choose to fuck.  Children clearly need both parents to be involved in their lives.  Or, if they only have one parent, that parent needs to be focused on things other than how their ex did them wrong. 

I did like Belinda Carlisle's book enough to recommend it.  I didn't like Todd Bridges' book much, but it'll sell because Gary Coleman, a guy who suffered from bad mommy and daddy, died just after it was published. 

Yesterday, I read an article about how training doesn't help people get jobs.  I think about all the people out there who worked hard for their careers and have now lost them because of the recession.  And yet, we have people in California who are total fuck ups living the high life because they happen to be celebrities.  For many of them, it's like a prerequisite to being famous is being an addict of some sort.  Seems terribly unfair.

2 comments:

  1. That's one reason I avoid the celebrity gossip columns and stuff like that. I don't want to give these people any more attention than they really deserve. Of course, sometimes it's unavoidable.

    The blame game only truly works until you're an adult. At that point, it's up to you to actually do something about your problems. Sympathy only goes so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree, Dave. And I'm sorry I'm just noticing your comment now!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.