Friday, July 23, 2010

Insight

Last night, while stressing over the doctor's appointment I attended this morning, my husband and I were chatting about why I hate visiting the doctor.  A lot of times, the doctors I end up seeing are women and they act in a condescending way.  Like most people, I don't like being talked down to.  I find it offensive and disrespectful when someone talks to me like I'm an idiot. And it seems that a lot of the women doctors I've seen have a tendency to talk to me like I'm an idiot, hence my reluctance to see them.

But my dear spouse was getting tired of hearing me complain about the pain in my back.  I'm sure he was also worried.  So he made me appointment and vowed to make me attend.  While I was chattering about my nerves, he was listening and he suddenly made a very insightful comment.

He said, "It seems to me that you often have problems with women who don't take you seriously."

His comment hit me like a thunderbolt.  Mentally, I reflected back on the people who have really rubbed me the wrong way over the years...  my older sisters, a few relatives, a couple of bosses, doctors, my old riding coach, some co-workers and acquaintences... The vast majority of these people have been women!  Sure, there have been men who have gotten under my skin, too, but most of the people who annoy me the most are women who are very pushy, opinionated, and patronizing.  Some of them may not even realize they're condescending.

I get along fine with most men.  I even have male dogs and, when I had a horse, I rode a gelding.  I have some female friends, too.  But the ones I stay friends with tend to be laid back and low key.

Maybe this is not earth shattering news to those who know me, but I never made the connection between pushy women and my level of irritation before.  Kudos to my insightful spouse for figuring that out.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.