Thursday, July 15, 2010

Cystic fibrosis sisters on America's Got Talent...

Even though we don't get TV out here in the woods, I do admit to watching a little TV.  I just do it online the day after the show airs.  I've been watching America's Got Talent, a show that was a guilty pleasure back in 2007 when my dear spouse was away on an extended business related trip and I was spending a lot of time alone.  In 2007, David Hasselhof was a judge.  Now, Howie Mandel is a judge, along with Piers Morgan and Sharon Osbourne.  I actually like Howie.  He's funny and instigates a lot of shenanigans.

Anyway, one of the acts that has made it to the semi-finals is the sister duo Christina and Ali.  They are 13 and 20 years old and hail from Idaho.  That fact, along with their very wholesome appearance, immediately made me wonder if they were Mormons.  Guess what... they are.  I found an article about them on the Mormon Times.  Google it.

When these two young ladies auditioned, they mentioned that they were two of four children born with the genetic disease cystic fibrosis in their family.  Knowing what I know about CF-- the devastation it causes and how kids born to parents who carry the gene have just a one in four chance of being unaffected by the gene-- I had to wonder what the hell their parents were thinking.  It seems like an extremely selfish and ignorant thing to do, when there are a lot of other ways for people to become parents.  Now that I know a little more about their background, I understand more as to why their parents chose to have four kids, knowing what their genetic odds were.  I don't agree with it, but this is still America.

Now... first off, while I do think these two girls have singing talent, they clearly lack training.  The younger one can belt, but she's not able to stay on pitch.  The older one seems better able to stay on pitch, but she doesn't seem to have much power behind her voice.  That may be because of the CF or because she's nervous.  In any case, I do think they made it to the semi-finals for reasons other than their talent.  They're attractive.  They have a sob story.  And they very likely have a whole legion of church voters behind them...

I wish these two girls luck.  It must suck to have CF.  Indeed, on last night's show, the sisters revealed that they had already lost a sibling last year.  I'm assuming their sister died of CF.  They said their performance was inspired by their sister's death.  How bittersweet it must be to know that they will likely have the same fate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.