Monday, June 28, 2010

I seem to be stuck in the 70s and 80s...

particularly when it comes to my choices in music and televison.  I love watching old TV shows, listening to old music, and reading books about people who were entertainers in the 70s and 80s.  I would say this is because of my happy childhood, though I can't say that my childhood was all that happy.  Oh, it wasn't horrible... I had a place to live, clothes to wear, food in my stomach, and even a pony to ride.  But it wasn't all that happy.

My parents dutifully took care of me and often treated me like I was a burden.  I'm sure I was a burden, since I came eight years after my older sister.  My mom had three kids in five years, then I came along just when she thought she was through with diapers.  And apparently, I filled up a lot of diapers.  I also filled the air with the sound of crying.  Mom said I had colic, but I probably just sensed that I was in a place where people weren't that happy.

Now that I'm a lot older, I still feel like I showed up by accident and crashed a party.  However, I do know that I've managed to make at least one person very happy with my presence...

Anyway... I still love to watch shit from the 70s and 80s on TV.  Maybe it's because today's TV is "reality based"... and we all know it's about as real as Velveeta.  At least a lot of the shows from the 70s and 80s made no real pretense of being "real"...  It was easy to watch them and escape to somewhere more fun and pleasant. 

And I think MTV pretty much ruined the music business with its videos.  That's when a person's looks and telegenicism seemed to matter a lot more than their actual talent.  But once again, I'm becoming a curmudgeon.  Makes me wish I could go hang out at a skating rink somewhere and spin to tunes from my youth.  Maybe then I won't feel so old.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.