Okay, maybe that's an overstatement. I guess I have had worse weekends than the one that's about to end. But this one was the worst one I've had in awhile.
Friday night, I was in a good mood because I got an unexpected surprise from SeaDream Yacht Club. They sent us a beautiful hardbound book about the SeaDream experience. I wasn't expecting that, so it was very cool. But then, things went downhill fast.
I made the mistake of leaving my purse on the floor next to my computer. Normally, I don't do that, because my dogs are curious beagles. I'd rather not have my leather purse turn into a chew toy. But I got distracted and left the bag on the floor. I was talking to my dear spouse when I noticed that one of my dogs had a tube of Vasilene Lip Therapy between his paws and had started chewing on it. I relieved him of the lip ointment and went down to my office, where I discovered that one or both of my little canine hoodlums had raided my purse.
They chewed up several items in my purse, including a couple of perfectly good maxi pads. But most concerning was the bottle of ibuprofen that one of them had managed to open by chewing off the child resistant cap. There were pills on the floor that had obviously been chewed on or licked. I have no idea if any of them got eaten, but ibuprofen is toxic in dogs.
We figured Zane, the younger dog, was the culprit. He's still in his chewing phase and is very curious. However, MacGregor might have also gotten into the pills. I have no idea. Dear hubby took Zane to the emergency vet, where they induced vomiting and gave him fluids and activated charcoal. After four hours in the clinic, they got home at about 1:00 in the morning. I waited up for them with MacGregor and a bottle of wine as a companion. The vet cost $365, which is actually sort of a bargain. When we used to live near Washington, DC, emergency vet services were much more expensive.
I woke up several hours later from a deep sleep. Apparently, Zane had kept hubby up all night, wanting to go outside. The wine didn't agree too well with me, plus I was dealing with allergies that made me cough a lot. I started my day off puking with so much force that my eyes are still bloodshot. Then I developed a cold sore, which has already erupted and hurts. It goes nicely with the zit on my chin, a reminder that Aunt Flow is coming soon.
Dearest had to get a trailer hitch put on our SUV for a trip to my parents' house next weekend. He was gone for several hours and it ended up costing several hundred dollars. Then I had to take Zane to our vet for more charcoal... another $108 down the tubes. Car taxes are due just before my birthday next month, too.
Spouse and I felt like crap all day yesterday and we both took naps. Interspersed between our naps, I started reading Killing Willis, a new bio written by Todd Bridges and a ghost writer. For those of you who don't know, Todd Bridges starred on the 80s sitcom, Diff'rent Strokes. He later became a criminal and claims that he's now turned his life around... not from what I could tell in his book. Anyway, I didn't like the book, but I finished it because I'd already paid for it and it had sort of a compelling trainwreck quality to it. If you're curious, check the link above. Not everyone disliked this book as much as I did.
Anyway, today is better than yesterday, but I still have bloody eyes and a cold sore. Here's hoping Monday is a better day.
ETA... how odd it is that Gary Coleman died just a few days after I reviewed his former co-star's book.