Thursday, April 1, 2010

Yesterday was one of 'dem days...

Auntie Flow came to visit yesterday.  I wasn't really expecting my period, but after counting the days, I guess it was right on time.  Sometime in the afternoon, I started getting the tell-tale crampy feelings.  Whenever I feel like that, I want to drink wine.  It helps me relax.  So, around 4 o'clock, I headed to the kitchen and got out a bottle of cheap shiraz. 

I fed the dogs and just as I was about to pour the wine, I noticed that MacGregor didn't eat.  He's a beagle, so that's definitely out of the ordinary behavior.  I saw him lying on the rug in the foyer, looking kind of peaked.  He didn't want to sit and seemed uncomfortable.  I had just read an article about bloat in dogs... I didn't think he had it, but the person who had written the article had just lost her dog to bloat and said it was better to be safe than sorry.  So I took him to the vet, after wrestling an uncooperative Zane into the crate.

The vet came in, checked MacGregor over, and said that his anal glands were really full.  Then, while an intern and a vet tech stood by, he squeezed MacGregor's glands and this nasty looking brown stuff squirted all over the table.  It was really gross!  The vet seemed surprised when I asked him how he did that.  I don't really want to express MacGregor's anal glands myself, but it is helpful to know how to do it.  If I could have done that at home, it would have saved us $76.

We came home and not much later, my husband walked in with some groceries... including red wine and chocolate.  He's so good to me.  Not many guys are that thoughtful. 

Today, I'm in early period hell... but at least this nasty business will be over before we're on our cruise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.