Thursday, April 15, 2010

Who knew that spanking was such a contentious issue?

Actually, I did know... I grew up with corporal punishment.  I don't agree with it under most circumstances, mainly because I remember how it made me feel.  But I brought up this issue with some female friends of mine and they all pretty much told me how wrong I am about spanking.  One of them even implied that my opinion is wrong because I experienced "beatings" as opposed to spankings.  Yeah... but when I was growing up, the "beatings" I had were called spankings.  And no doubt, they were delivered to me based on what my parents experienced when they were kids. 

Some people can be calm and measured when they deliver corporal punishment and they can do it in such a way that they won't harm their child.  Other people spank when they're angry and frustrated and they do end up harming their child.  Everybody has their own ideas about what constitutes a proper spanking.  It's not a skill one learns in school. 

Based on my experiences, spanking is a risky thing to do.  Other people may feel differently, and that's their right.  All I ask is mutual respect for my opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.