Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Enchanted Forest...

My husband and I live in the woods right now.  Our house is at the end of a very long driveway surrounded by trees.  As spring progresses, it turns the whole place green with new foliage and flowers.  Right now, everything's been dusted with the luminescent powder we call pollen.  Makes it hard to breathe, of course, but it sure does give our home an enchanted look. 

This morning, I took the dogs outside for their usual potty break.  I looked up and saw a lone doe eyeing us curiously.  We're used to seeing deer around here.  There's a family of them that live in the woods around our house.  They're often out in the morning or early evening, eating some of the foliage or just hanging out.  Anyway, these deer are fairly tame.  They don't run at the sight of us.  In fact, they don't even seem to care about our dogs, who often bark at them when they see them.  For some reason, neither canine noticed the doe, whose eyes were on me and ears were pricked up on alert.

I try not to bother the deer.  They've been here much longer than I have and will remain here long after I leave.  But there's something kind of magical about living in harmony with wild animals who aren't really that wild.  And there's something really cool about the glow of pollen, even though it's making me sick.

That being said... I do hope for rain today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.