Friday, March 8, 2013

Hit the Zit!


Here's a stomach turning post for a nice Friday morning.  The last couple of mornings, I've seen ads for a new gadget called "No No Skin", made by No No, the good people who brought you the No No hair removal system.  It seems they are now hawking a device that gets rid of pimples.  The ad has an annoying slogan that goes "Hit the zit!", then shows someone putting the device on the pimple.  The gadget beeps twice, flashes a light, and then supposedly helps you get rid of your acne.

One thing I think is funny about this, besides the annoying slogan, is the fact that it's touted as being portable.  So I guess that means you can take it on vacation with you if you want to...  But they show someone stowing it in her purse.  I wonder if she pulls it out in traffic jams and uses it to clear up her skin while sitting in the car?  I would imagine doing that would be slightly more socially acceptable than picking her nose.

I also wonder what this thing actually does.  Check out the No No Skin Web site, and you see a disgusting photo of a chin with a big whitehead on it that looks like it's going to burst.  The next photo shows the skin looking only slightly red.  I guess it doesn't look like someone just squeezed the shit out of it.  You can use this thing on your face, neck, chest and yes, even your butt.

I used to get zits a lot back in the day.  Nowadays, I only get them once in awhile, usually around the time I'm going to have my period.  I guess that's one good thing about being 40.  Of course, since menopause is probably just around the corner, I'll probably have wrinkles soon.  My mom is 74, though, and still has remarkably smooth skin.  Maybe I'll get lucky.

I'm almost tempted to buy one of these and review it, just because it's gross.  But I don't get a lot of zits anymore, so it's probably not worth it.  I posted about this on Facebook yesterday and more than one person remarked about how gross this is, even if it does just use heat and light.

8 comments:

  1. Reminds me of the Bic For Her episode at Amazon.
    Here's a sample of a review:

    "I love BIC Cristal for Her! The delicate shape and pretty pastel colors make it perfect for writing recipe cards, checks to my psychologist (I'm seeing him for a case of the hysterics), and tracking my monthly cycle. Obviously, I don't use it for vulgar endeavors like math or filling out a voter application, but BIC Cristal for Her is a lovely little writing utensil all the same. Ask your husband for some extra pocket money so you can buy one today!"
    Hilarious.
    Here's some more
    http://www.amazon.com/BIC-Cristal-1-0mm-Black-MSLP16-Blk/product-reviews/B004F9QBE6/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_btm?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

    Anyway what's wrong with a good ol' two finger squeeze. It's cheaper and portable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The folks at No No would say that squeezing, though oddly satisfying, is potentially dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Squeezing is a No No. A projectile of pus across a crowded room could take someone's eye out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've just inspired me to post again.... Brace yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a bit skeptical regarding this device. my mom bought one of those tiny devices that supposedly sucks the wax out of one's ears. Thus far it's proven to be about as useful as teats on a boar. I fear the No-N0 thing would be similar.

    My dad thinks just because he's a physician and he's had a zit or two in his day that he's an expert regarding acne. He says pimples in the triangular area between the eyebrows and the bridge of the nose should never be squeezed because of some potential danger of bacteria going to the brain through the sinuses. For the rest of zits, he says it's gross but blackheads in other areas aren't particularly dangerous to squeeze as long as you cleanse thoroughly (hands and former zit), apply astringent, and and apply benzoil peroxide solution or something prescription that's stronger. He says if you MUST squeeze a whitehead, squeeze it once only, then clean it,put medication on it, and leave it alone or it will scar, and it may scar anyway. When my brother was in the height of his zit phase (which was never all that bad, but he wanted to lock himself into his room for about six months; he was so incredibly sensitive about it that I never as much as mentioned it to him, and we were really pretty mean to each other back then) my dad kept syringes of some medication that will eradicate a zit totally within 24 hours so that my brother wouldn't squeeze himself into a crater face and regret it later. The medication was quite costly, but my parents thought the price was minor compared to the expense of a funeral for a suicidal teen. My brother is through the worst of the zit phase now and just uses that ProActive stuff plus a little topical prescription stuff.

    I have yet to experience my first zit, but I know my time is coming. I'll probably have a giant one right on my forehead or nose on the day of my interview for my first-choice medical school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard of that death zone triangle thing your dad has told you about. Some of my worst zits have been in that area, though, and I have to confess to doing what I could to relieve the pain. I did end up with facial cellulitis once, though, thanks to trying to get rid of a zit. Believe me, that is not something you ever want to have to deal with.

    ReplyDelete